2000: Review of Gerhard Weinberg, A World at Arms, and Others https://www.j-bradford-delong.net/econ_articles/reviews/weinberg.html:
- Gerhard Weinberg (1994), A World at Arms: A Global History of World War II (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 0521558794).
- Gerhard Weinberg (1995), Germany, Hitler, and World War II (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 0521566266).
- Donald Cameron Watt (1989), How War Came (New York: Pantheon Books).
- Ernest May (2000), Strange Victory: Hitler's Conquest of France (New York: Hill and Wang: 0809089068).
- William L. Shirer (1959), The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (New York: Fawcett Books: 0449219771).
For some years now I have been looking for a good global history of World War II, both to serve as a reference for myself and to give to others who wish to know about that particular axis on which so much of twentieth century history turned. Until now I have always recommended William L. Shirer's The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Shirer's book has many excellences-- . But it has some flaws. And now I have found a proper replacement, in Gerhard Weinberg's A World at Arms.