Over at Equitable Growth: Must- and Should-Reads:
- Perhaps Today We See Not a New Crisis of Liberal Democratic Capitalism, But an Old Condition Recurring http://equitablegrowth.org/equitablog/perhaps-today-we-see-not-a-new-crisis-of-liberal-democratic-capitalism-but-an-old-condition-recurring-like-herpes-if-you-will/
- Bridget Ansel: Venture capital’s gender gap is costly for firms and the economy: "The absence of women in VC firms, of course, trickles down into the success of female entrepreneurs... http://equitablegrowth.org/equitablog/value-added/venture-capitals-gender-gap-is-costly-for-firms-and-the-economy/
- Lael Brainard: Navigating the Different Signals from Inflation and Unemployment: "The labor market has continued to strengthen... https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/speech/brainard20170530a.htm
- Anatole Kaletsky: The Divergence of US and British Populism: "Trump’s key economic officials... plus a galaxy of Congressional officials and business leaders, made clear that Trump... is only a temporary aberration... https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/trump-resistance-brexit-acceptance-by-anatole-kaletsky-2017-05
- Annette Alstadsæter, Niels Johannesen, and Gabriel Zucman**: Tax Evasion and Inequality: "We combine stratified random audits... with new micro-data leaked from two large offshore financial institutions, HSBC Switzerland (“Swiss leaks”) and Mossack Fonseca (“Panama Papers”)... http://gabriel-zucman.eu/files/AJZ2017.pdf
- Nick Bunker: What unconventional policies are likely to stay in central bankers’ toolkits?: "Blinder... Ehrmann... de Haan... and... Jansen... academic economists... and central bankers... http://equitablegrowth.org/equitablog/value-added/what-unconventional-policies-are-likely-to-stay-in-central-bankers-toolkits/
- Aaron Carroll: Science Needs a Solution for the Temptation of Positive Results http://theincidentaleconomist.com/wordpress/science-needs-a-solution-for-the-temptation-of-positive-results/
- Kevin Lansing: R-star, Uncertainty, and Monetary Policy http://www.frbsf.org/economic-research/publications/economic-letter/2017/may/r-star-macroeconomic-uncertainty-and-monetary-policy/
- Austin Frakt: Market Power Matters: "Massachusetts.... David Anderson summed the development up perfectly.... 'Big payer (the state employee plan) wants to use its market power to get a better rate from a set of powerfully concentrated providers who have used their market power to get very high rates historically...'" http://theincidentaleconomist.com/wordpress/market-power-matters2/
- Max Weber: On the Methodology of the Social Sciences https://archive.org/stream/maxweberonmethod00webe/maxweberonmethod00webe_djvu.txt
- David Glasner: Correct Foresight, Perfect Foresight, and Intertemporal Equilibrium https://uneasymoney.com/2017/05/28/correct-foresight-perfect-foresight-and-intertemporal-equilibrium/
- Oskar Morgenstern: Perfect Foresight and Economic Equilibrium https://www.princeton.edu/~erp/ERParchives/archivepdfs/element%20of%20time%20in%20value%20theory.pdf
- Herman Melville: Moby Dick; Or the Whale https://www.gutenberg.org/files/2701/2701-h/2701-h.htm
- Narayana Kocherlakota: The Fed Shouldn’t Be Afraid of Growth: "Why slow it down when you can’t know what the right pace is?..." https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-05-30/the-fed-shouldn-t-be-afraid-of-growth
- Jo Michell: Economics, Ideology, and Trump: "..." https://criticalfinance.org/2016/11/15/economics-ideology-and-trump/
And Over Here:
- Perhaps Today We See Not a New Crisis of Liberal Democratic Capitalism, But an Old Condition Recurring—Like Herpes, If You Will... http://www.bradford-delong.com/2017/05/perhaps-today-we-see-not-a-new-crisis-of-liberal-democratic-capitalism-but-an-old-condition-recurringlike-herpes-if-you.html: "I do not believe that the very sharp Branko Milanovic ever studied George Kennan's "Long Telegram": his 8000-word message in 1946 back from Moscow, where he was then U.S. ambassador, to the State Department in Washington..."
- Ten Years Ago on Grasping Reality: June 1, 2007... http://www.bradford-delong.com/2017/06/ten-years-ago-on-grasping-reality-june-1-2007.html: "Six posts: Peggy Noonan on June 1, 2007 saying that she had long been an internal exile from the Bush administration whose victory she gloated over back at the end of 2004; a close encounter with a Tom Turkey; three pieces noodling over what "orthodox", "heterodox", and "Keynesian" economics are; and two links worth reading. None seem to me especially worth highlighting and hoisting today..."
- (Early) Weekend Reading: The End of Francis Spufford's "Red Plenty" http://www.bradford-delong.com/2017/05/early-weekend-reading-the-end-of-francis-spuffords-red-plenty.html: "‘Paradise’, he told the wheatfield in baffled fury, ‘is a place where people want to end up, not a place they run from. What kind of socialism is that? What kind of shit is that, when you have to keep people in chains? What kind of social order? What kind of paradise?’..."
- Live from the Journamalists' Self-Made Gehenna: "So the New York Times is firing its awful public editor, Liz Spayd. Friday—that is, two days from now—cutting her three-year position down to one. It is also taking advantage of the opportunity to eliminate the position...." http://www.bradford-delong.com/2017/05/live-from-the-journamalists-self-made-gehenna-so-the-_new-york-times_-is-firing-its-awful-public-editor-liz-spayd-fri.html
- Live from the Orange-Haired Baboon Cage: David Frum: "Typos are rapidly fixed. This looks as if the president spasmed, passed out-and nobody on staff noticed."..." http://www.bradford-delong.com/2017/05/live-from-the-orange-haired-baboon-cage-donald-trump-_on-twitter_-despite-the-constant-negative-press-covfefe-ms.html
- Live from the English Orange-Haired Baboon Page: Economista Dentata: Quick Scribbles about Goodhart: "[The] much-discussed book attempts to cover a lot of ground in a relatively short (233 pages) space......" http://www.bradford-delong.com/2017/05/live-from-the-english-orange-haired-baboon-page-economista-dentata-_quick-scribbles-about-goodhart_-the-much-discus.html
- Should-Read: Bridget Ansel: Venture capital’s gender gap is costly for firms and the economy: "The absence of women in VC firms, of course, trickles down into the success of female entrepreneurs..." http://www.bradford-delong.com/2017/06/should-read-bridget-ansel-_venture-capitals-gender-gap-is-costly-for-firms-and-the-economy_-the-absence-of-women-i.html
- Should-Read: Lael Brainard: Navigating the Different Signals from Inflation and Unemployment: "The labor market has continued to strengthen......" http://www.bradford-delong.com/2017/05/must-read-once-again-over-the-past-30-years-we-have-had-three-business-cycle-peaks1990-2000-and-2007and-thre.html
- Should-Read: Anatole Kaletsky: The Divergence of US and British Populism: ": "Trump’s key economic officials... plus a galaxy of Congressional officials and business leaders, made clear that Trump... is only a temporary aberration..." http://www.bradford-delong.com/2017/05/should-read-imho-anatole-kaletsky-is-over-credulous-he-believes-what-the-republican-establishment-told-him-at-the-milk.html
- Should-Read: Annette Alstadsæter, Niels Johannesen, and Gabriel Zucman: Tax Evasion and Inequality: "We combine stratified random audits... with new micro-data leaked from two large offshore financial institutions, HSBC Switzerland (“Swiss leaks”) and Mossack Fonseca (“Panama Papers”)..." http://www.bradford-delong.com/2017/05/should-read-annette-alstads%C3%A6ter-niels-johannesen-and-gabriel-zucman-_tax-evasion-and-inequality_-we-combine-strati.html
- Should-Read: Nick Bunker: What unconventional policies are likely to stay in central bankers’ toolkits?: "Blinder... Ehrmann... de Haan... and... Jansen... academic economists... and central bankers..." http://www.bradford-delong.com/2017/05/should-read-nick-bunker-_what-unconventional-policies-are-likely-to-stay-in-central-bankers-toolkits_-blinder.html
Perhaps Worth Looking at...