For the Weekend: Stephen Vincent Benet: The Devil and Daniel Webster I http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0602901h.html: "It's a story they tell in the border country, where Massachusetts joins Vermont and New Hampshire...
...Yes, Dan'l Webster's dead—or, at least, they buried him. But every time there's a thunder storm around Marshfield, they say you can hear his rolling voice in the hollows of the sky. And they say that if you go to his grave and speak loud and clear, "Dan'l Webster—Dan'l Webster!" the ground 'll begin to shiver and the trees begin to shake.
And after a while you'll hear a deep voice saying, "Neighbour, how stands the Union?"
Then you better answer the Union stands as she stood, rock-bottomed and copper sheathed, one and indivisible, or he's liable to rear right out of the ground.
At least, that's what I was told when I was a youngster.
- The Devil and Daniel Webster I http://www.bradford-delong.com/2017/08/for-the-weekend-stephen-vincent-benet-the-devil-and-daniel-webster-i.html
- The Devil and Daniel Webster II http://www.bradford-delong.com/2017/08/for-the-weekend-stephen-vincent-benet-the-devil-and-daniel-webster-ii.html
- The Devil and Daniel Webster III http://www.bradford-delong.com/2017/09/for-the-weekend-stephen-vincent-benet-the-devil-and-daniel-webster-iii.html
- The Devil and Daniel Webster IV http://www.bradford-delong.com/2017/09/for-the-weekend-stephen-vincent-benet-the-devil-and-daniel-webster-iv.html
- The Devil and Daniel Webster V http://www.bradford-delong.com/2017/09/for-the-weekend-stephen-vincent-benet-the-devil-and-daniel-webster-v.html