For the Weekend: Stephen Vincent Benet: The Devil and Daniel Webster XII http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks06/0602901h.html: "Walter Butler rose in his place and his face had a dark, gay pride on it...
..."The jury has considered its verdict," he said, and looked the stranger full in the eye. "We find for the defendant, Jabez Stone."
With that, the smile left the stranger's face, but Walter Butler did not flinch.
"Perhaps 'tis not strictly in accordance with the evidence," he said, "but even the damned may salute the eloquence of Mr. Webster."
With that, the long crow of a rooster split the gray morning sky, and judge and jury were gone from the room like a puff of smoke and as if they had never been there. The stranger turned to Dan'l Webster, smiling wryly. "Major Butler was always a bold man," he said. "I had not thought him quite so bold. Nevertheless, my congratulations, as between two gentlemen."
"I'll have that paper first, if you please," said Dan'l Webster, and he took it and tore it into four pieces. It was queerly warm to the touch. "And now," he said, "I'll have you!" and his hand came down like a bear trap on the stranger's arm. For he knew that once you bested anybody like Mr. Scratch in fair fight, his power on you was gone. And he could see that Mr. Scratch knew it too.
The stranger twisted and wriggled, but he couldn't get out of that grip. "Come, come, Mr. Webster," he said, smiling palely. "This sort of thing is ridic—ouch!—is ridiculous. If you're worried about the costs of the case, naturally, I'd be glad to pay—"
"And so you shall!" said Dan'l Webster, shaking him till his teeth rattled. "For you'll sit right down at that table and draw up a document, promising never to bother Jabez Stone nor his heirs or assigns nor any other New Hampshire man till doomsday! For any Hades we want to raise in this state, we can raise ourselves, without assistance from strangers."
"Ouch!" said the stranger. "Ouch! Well, they never did run very big to the barrel, but—ouch!—I agree!"
So he sat down and drew up the document. But Dan'l Webster kept his hand on his coat collar all the time.
"And, now, may I go?" said the stranger, quite humble, when Dan'l 'd seen the document was in proper and legal form.
"Go?" said Dan'l, giving him another shake. "I'm still trying to figure out what I'll do with you. For you've settled the costs of the case, but you haven't settled with me. I think I'll take you back to Marshfield," he said, kind of reflective. "I've got a ram there named Goliath that can butt through an iron door. I'd kind of like to turn you loose in his field and see what he'd do."
Well, with that the stranger began to beg and to plead. And he begged and he pled so humble that finally Dan'l, who was naturally kind hearted, agreed to let him go. The stranger seemed terrible grateful for that and said, just to show they were friends, he'd tell Dan'l's fortune before leaving. So Dan'l agreed to that, though he didn't take much stock in fortunetellers ordinarily.
But, naturally, the stranger was a little different. Well, he pried and he peered at the line in Dan'l's hands. And he told him one thing and another that was quite remarkable. But they were all in the past.
- The Devil and Daniel Webster I http://www.bradford-delong.com/2017/08/for-the-weekend-stephen-vincent-benet-the-devil-and-daniel-webster-i.html
- The Devil and Daniel Webster II http://www.bradford-delong.com/2017/08/for-the-weekend-stephen-vincent-benet-the-devil-and-daniel-webster-ii.html
- The Devil and Daniel Webster III http://www.bradford-delong.com/2017/09/for-the-weekend-stephen-vincent-benet-the-devil-and-daniel-webster-iii.html
- The Devil and Daniel Webster IV http://www.bradford-delong.com/2017/09/for-the-weekend-stephen-vincent-benet-the-devil-and-daniel-webster-iv.html
- The Devil and Daniel Webster V http://www.bradford-delong.com/2017/09/for-the-weekend-stephen-vincent-benet-the-devil-and-daniel-webster-v.html
- The Devil and Daniel Webster VI http://www.bradford-delong.com/2017/10/for-the-weekend-stephen-vincent-benet-the-devil-and-daniel-webster-vi.html
- For the Weekend: Stephen Vincent Benet: The Devil and Daniel Webster VII](http://www.bradford-delong.com/2017/10/for-the-weekend-stephen-vincent-benet-the-devil-and-daniel-webster-vii.html)
- For the Weekend: Stephen Vincent Benet: The Devil and Daniel Webster VIII
- For the Weekend: Stephen Vincent Benet: The Devil and Daniel Webster IX
- For the Weekend: Stephen Vincent Benet: The Devil and Daniel Webster X
- For the Weekend: Stephen Vincent Benet: The Devil and Daniel Webster XI
- For the Weekend: Stephen Vincent Benet: The Devil and Daniel Webster XII
- For the Weekend: Stephen Vincent Benet: The Devil and Daniel Webster XIII