Jonesing for a MacBookPro:
- Enter shop.
- Head for display machines. Drool copiously over the 2GHz MacBook Pro.
- Overhear salesman telling punter that they're selling like crazy and there might not be any left.
- Fondle credit card, already smoking, and realize that the new tax year begins next Thursday.
- Ask salesman, "how much, with maxed out memory?"
- Salesman confirms that while the list price is the same as the Apple store is advertising, the extra memory is about half the price.
- "Say, can you order one for me for next Thursday? With the memory? So it's in the next tax year?"
- What did it was the reply: "certainly Mr Stross, I'll put one aside for you and it'll have the memory installed when you come to pick it up."
At no point did I tell him my name. At no point was I wearing a badge, other than maybe the flashing red sign over my head saying JOBS CULTIST. And I wasn't angling for the valued-customer treatment, either. I definitely need to spend less time in that shop.