Over at Equitable Growth: Must-Reads:
- Simon Wren-Lewis: Neoliberalism and Austerity: "Austerity could [not] have happened on the scale that it did without this dominance of this neoliberal ethos...
- Paul Krugman: Debt, Diversion, Distraction: "There was a time... when deficit scolds were actively dangerous...
- Daniel Boffey: Brexit: leading banks set to pull out of UK early next year: Anthony Browne, head of the British Bankers’ Association, warns that major lenders are poised to hit relocate button
- Brahman: [A Few Thoughts on Finance and BREXIT...]: "Trouble is that even @MarkFieldMP MP for the City can't be bothered to fight to stay within the Single Market...
- Izabella Kaminska: The Robot Revolution May Be Exaggerated: "UBS is back... 34-page[s]... re-shoring and automation trend much touted by tech utopians as the silver lining to the [globalization] reversal may be exaggerated...
- Ricardo J. Caballero and Alp Simsek: A Model of Fickle Capital Flows and Retrenchment: Global Liquidity Creation and Reach for Safety and Yield: "Gross capital flows are very large and highly cyclical...
- Joe Weisenthal: @TheStalwart: "Per Goldman, the biggest contributors to the LFPR rebound were drops in the disabled and 'don't want a job' category."
- Catherine Caruso: Scientists "Switch Off" Self-Control Using Brain Stimulation: A clever experiment pinpoints the brain region involved in taking the perspective of our future selves or that of others
- Jeni Asaba: Debate over: IBM confirms that Macs are $535 less expensive than PCs
- Bethany Brookshire: Blame bad incentives for bad science
And Over Here:
- Late October 2012: Bill Galston Wanted the Obama Administration to Nuke the Recovery: Looking Back at the Internet Past
- Must-Read: Yes, a lot of discouraged workers a year ago did not say they were discouraged workers. And the same is highly likely to be true today. Why do you ask?
- This is what the Republican establishment is overwhelmingly supporting and endorsing for president (Live from the Republicans Self-Made Hell)
- Oliver Darcy and Pamela Engel: Trump's effect on the conservative media: "'There is no autopsy this year that does not include dealing with the right-wing media', Sykes said. 'There is none'...
- Must-Read: READ THIS. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT. IT IS THE MUST-READ OF THE MONTH: Josh Barro: The conservative media is a symptom of GOP TROUBLES
- Michael Strain: Cleaning Up the Trump: "Conservatives need to be clear-eyed about the enormity of the Failure of 2016... (Live from the Republicans' Self-Made Trump Hell)
- Must-Read: Izabella Kaminska: The Robot Revolution May Be Exaggerated: "UBS is back... 34-page[s]... re-shoring and automation trend much touted by tech utopians as the silver lining to the [globalization] reversal may be exaggerated...
- Must-Read: Ricardo J. Caballero and Alp Simsek: A Model of Fickle Capital Flows and Retrenchment: Global Liquidity Creation and Reach for Safety and Yield: "Gross capital flows are very large and highly cyclical...
- Paul Waldmann: Republicans told their voters that politics is inherently evil. That stuck them with Trump: "Republicans are assembling an explanation... (Live from the Republicans Self-Made Trump Hell)
- Why Did Keynes Write "In the Long Run We Are All Dead"?
- Late October 2012: John Podhoretz Badly Needs Some Better Friends than Fred Barnes...
- Late October 2012: The Unarmed Dylan Byers of the Politico Engages Nate Silver in a Battle of Wits on Twitter!
- Late October 2012: Dan Drezner Accidently Reads Niall Ferguson
- Hoisted from Late October 2012: The Half-Month of MittMentum
- For the Weekend...: Hardy Drew and the Nancy Boys: There's no one as Irish as Barack OBama
Might Like to Read:
- Sean M. Carroll and Charles T. Sebens: Many Worlds, the Born Rule, and Self-Locating Uncertainty
- W. H. Zurek (1981): Pointer basis of quantum apparatus: Into what mixture does the wave packet collapse?
- Scott Lemieux: Today in the Party of Calhoun: "I can give you an example of the Chief Justice of the United States joined by four of his brethren using Dred Scott‘s theory of equal state sovereignty... to place an extratextual limitation on the powers explicitly granted to Congress by Section 2 of the 15th Amendment to address racial discrimination by states in their regulation of voting..."
- Charles Pierce: Kansas Solicitor General Cites Dred Scott v. Sanford in Appeal Before Kansas Supreme Court: "Wait. What was that again? 'See also Dred Scott v. Sandford, 60 U.S. 393, 407 (1856)…' Holy cow. The state of Kansas has a lawyer citing Dred Scott in support of its position. In defense of a law aimed at limiting a woman's right to choose. What in the fck is the matter with Kansas?..."
- Rebecca Ballhaus: Billionaires’ Spending on 2016 Election Reaches $88 Million: "Democrat Hillary Clinton has been the largest beneficiary of billionaires’ cash, with 19 of them donating a total of $70 million to her top allied super PAC, Priorities USA Action, according to the latest Federal Election Commission disclosure. Four billionaires have given $18 million to the set of super PACs backing Republican Donald Trump..."
- John Amato: Donald Trump: WSJ Is Part Of Rigged System Putting Out 'Dark Polls' Against Him
Perhaps Worth Reading...