- Nancy Folbre: Does the One Percent Deserve What It Gets?: "Years of schooling in neoclassical economic theories predispose [economists] to the view that perfectly competitive markets yield equitable as well as efficient outcomes... (Tu)
- Cosma Shalizi: Ernest Gellner, 1925-1995: "Most of these themes themselves revolve around the 'great hump' or 'great ditch', which divides the modern world from pre-modern civilizations...(Th)
- Nathan Lane: Manufacturing Revolutions: Industrial Policy and Networks in South Korea: "This paper uses a historic big push intervention and newly digitized data from South Korea to study the effects of industrial policy on (short- and long-run) industrial development... (Th)
- Sandra Black, Jason Furman, Laura Giuliano and Wilson Powell: Minimum Wage Increases and Earnings in Low-Wage Jobs: "18 states plus the District of Columbia have implemented minimum wage increases... (F)
- Noah Smith: An Econ Theory, Falsified: "Almost every theory is falsifiable to some degree... since almost every theory is just an approximation... (M)
- Walter Jon Williams: Index of Russian Lies: "Via Bruce Sterling, an annotated index of Russian disinformation... (F)
- Izabella Kaminska: The Taxi Unicorn’s New Clothes: "[Hubert Horan:] 'For the year ending September 2015, Uber had GAAP losses of $2 billion... (M)
- Kindred Winnecoff: World Politics in a Time of Populist Nationalism
- Invictus: Seattle Minimum Wage Experiment Is Over
- Anne Laurie: PEOTUS Trump, Fraud-in-Chief
- Bill Janeway: The Retreat from Hyper-Globalization: "Flows of Goods and Services, People and Capital Have Overwhelmed the Ability of Political Processes to Accommodate Them"
- Ian Dunt: Brexit: What the Hell Happens Now?: Everything You Need to Know about Britain's Divorce from Europe: "Britain's departure from the European Union is filled with propaganda, myth, and half- truth--but the risks are very real... (Tu)
- Brad Setser: China’s Dual Equilibria: "Not just multiple possible exchange rate equilibria... at least two different possible macroeconomic equilibria... (W)
- Abhijit Bannerjee: E-governance, Accountability, and Leakage in Public Programs: Experimental Evidence from a Financial Management Reform in India (W)
- Simon Johnson: The Politics of Job Polarization: "Highly educated people at the top of the income distribution are doing better than ever... (W)
- Simon Wren-Lewis: Public Investment and Fiscal Rules: "When I started writing this paper with Jonathan Portes... (Th)
- Simon Wren Lewis: Whatever Happened to the Government Debt Doom Spiral?: "A number of people... are puzzled about why government debt at 90% of GDP seemed to cause our new Chancellor and the markets so little concern when his predecessor saw it as a portent of impending doom... (Th)
- Matthew Yglesias: @mattyglesias: "I've got some bad news for the American people about Donald Trump's policy agenda..." https://t.co/aCZcJigOcB (F)
- Richard Baldwin: @BaldwinRE: "You can’t vote against globalisation by voting against agreements that shape & control it..." https://t.co/AUn6bdczKF The Great Convergence: Information Technology and the New Globalization (F)
- Richard Mayhew: The Core of the Fight: "Actuarial value and subsidy level is the core element of the coming fight on Medicare...
- Thomas Jones (2002): Aristophanes: "A new edition of Aristophanes’ Acharnians, by S. Douglas Olson...
- Esteban Ortiz-Ospina and Max Roser: Income Inequality
- Norman Ornstein: @NormOrnstein: "I threw a grenade into my own house. I hope it doesn't go off!" Trip Gabriel: "FL woman with Crohn's disease who voted for Trump relys on Obamacare. 'I hope it stays the same'"
- Matthew Yglesias: @mattyglesias: "Watch out for fake news!" Zeynep Tufekci: "Pre-election from NYT, WaPo & Politico: Clinton email server (first) outnumbered Trump conflict-of-interest stories five to one:1372 vs 279..."
- Become a Better Investor: Top 5 Bloggers 2016: "The Reformed Broker Josh Brown... The Irrelevant Investor Michael Batnick... Vintage Value Investing with John Szramiak... The Collaborative Fool Morgan Housel... A Wealth of Common Sense from Ben Carlson..."
- Wikipedia: Aztlán
- Farai Chideya: The Call-to-Whiteness
- David Allen Green: Who the UK really is negotiating with over Brexit: "Theresa May is being careful about what information is available to her opponents.... Her opponents... are not the various EU institutions... [which] know... the UK negotiating position better than the UK itself. No, her true Brexit opponents are the UK’s media and politicians and, by extension, the public..."
- Lauren Fox and Tierney Sneed: Senate GOP Tips Its Hand: An Obamacare Replacement Could Be A Long Way Off
- Pseudoerasmus: Ideology and Human Development
- Sherman Robinson
- Mark Gilchrist: Why Thucydides Still Matters
- Morgan Kelly and Cormac Ó Gráda: Adam Smith, Watch Prices, and the Industrial Revolution: "From 1685 to 1810... the real price of watches... falls steadily by 1.3% a year..."
- Ed Crooks: What role for the workers in Trump’s American factory revival?: "In places like Buffalo there is evidence that US manufacturing has a bright future. It just does not look like a future that will include millions of new jobs..."
- Eric Hobsbawm (1987): The Age of Empire, 1870-1914 http://amzn.to/2gYsn2A
- Eric Hobsbawm (1995): The Age of Extremes, 1914-1989 http://amzn.to/2fOZYqt
- John Maynard Keynes (1919): The Economic Consequences of the Peace http://amzn.to/2gJE24B
- John Stuart Mill (1871): Principles of Political Economy http://amzn.to/2gLSJSw
- Branko Milanovic: Was the 20th Century "Long" or "Short"?
- Arrival (2016)