One thing very much worth hoisting and highlighting, on all the little lies the journamalists tell every day about how much they know and how good their sources of information are: KEVIN DRUM ON JOE KLEIN AND THE LITTLE DECEPTIONS OF THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA http://www.bradford-delong.com/2007/06/kevin_drum_on_j.html
And a bunch of others.
- Six links for 2007-06-11 http://www.bradford-delong.com/2007/06/links_for_20070_9.html: "Haim Saban: "When I see Ahmadinejad, I see Hitler..." Duncan Black: "Joe Klein comes to understand that the 'precipitous withdrawal' he keeps saying politicians are supporting is, in fact, impossible, but then still imagines they support it anyway"... Adam Kotsko... Eisenheim the Illusionist... Jurgen Habermas: Legitimation Crisis"
- Why Oh Why Can't We Have a Better Press Corps? (David Broder of the Washington Post Edition) http://www.bradford-delong.com/2007/06/why_oh_why_cant.html: This is simply psychotic. If it is unjust to investigate Libby, it is unjust to charge him. If it is unjust to charge him, it is unjust to try him. If it is unjust to try him, it is unjust to sentence him to jail. The real reason for Libby to go to jail, of course, is to figure out why he spent so much time lying to the investigators...
- What Google Thinks Is Related to This Website http://www.bradford-delong.com/2007/06/what_google_thi.html: "Greg Mankiw's Blog... Lawrence Lessig... Daily Kos: State of the Nation... The Becker-Posner Blog... Freakonomics Blog... Blog of a Bookslut... VentureBlog... The Big Picture... Cafe Hayek... THE NEWS BLOG... Economist's View... Majikthise... Asymmetrical Information... Instapundit... BuzzMachine... Making Light... The Washington Monthly... The American Prospect... EconLog: Library of Economics and Liberty... The Sports Economist... Knowledge Problem... Alex Ross: The Rest Is Noise... Unqualified Offerings... Vox Baby... Marginal Revolution... Bitch Ph.D..."
- Adam Kotsko Should Be on the Front Page of Every Newspaper in America http://www.bradford-delong.com/2007/06/adam_kotsko_sho.html: "The real problem with the Bush presidency is that it is conceptually unclear what kind of king he thinks he is—the absolute monarch of the Ancien Régime, or the Hegelian constitutional monarch who just 'says yes and dots the i's'. In the initial campaign (2000), it's clear they were going for the latter: yes, George W. is a dumbass, but he's going to be surrounded by all these seasoned advisors..."
- Soviet Start-of-Cold-War Propaganda Blogging http://www.bradford-delong.com/2007/06/soviet_startofc.html
- Six links for 2007-06-10 http://www.bradford-delong.com/2007/06/links_for_20070_8.html: "Steno Sue Schmidt special: she writes 'Abramoff, whom DeLay once described as "one of my closest and dearest friends",' without bothering to note that a politician like Tom DeLay has described thousands as among his 'closest and dearest friends'"... Digby: "Robert Bork (and his equally horrible buddies)... believe they can get Libby's conviction reversed on a technicality"... Michael Bérubé: "Tony Judt... a devastating review of Althusser’s career (in the March 7, 1994 issue of The New Republic)"... Tony Judt: "Louis Althusser, The Paris Strangler"... Left Center Left... Unstructured Procrastination..."
- Mark Thoma Praises Michael Perelman: The Role for "Heterodox" Economists http://www.bradford-delong.com/2007/06/mark_thoma_prai.html
- Tim Lee (Not Tim Berners-Lee!) on Software Patents http://www.bradford-delong.com/2007/06/tim_lee_not_tim.html
- Kevin Drum on Joe Klein and the Little Deceptions of the Mainstream Media http://www.bradford-delong.com/2007/06/kevin_drum_on_j.html
- Andrei Shleifer and Me: Harvard Class of 1982 http://www.bradford-delong.com/2007/06/andrei_shleifer.html: "Paras Bhayani of the Harvard Crimson is unfair to Andrei..."
- Fifteen links for 2007-06-09 http://www.bradford-delong.com/2007/06/links_for_20070_7.html: "Roger Lowenstein: The Inequality Conundrum... Rick Perlstein: Chinese Mirrors... Marx: Capital Vol. I-1873 Afterword... Spencer Ackerman... TBogg... Eli Lake... Bushra Juhi... Krishna Guha... Will Wilkinson... Psychotic Creep Wingnut Watch: Fouad Ajami... Paul Krugman: Lies, Sighs and Politics... Eric Turkewitz: New York Personal Injury Law Blog: Robert Bork Brings Trip/Fall Suit for Over $1M, Plus Punitive Damages And Legal Fees... Felix Salmon: How to Deal With Rising Healthcare Costs... Dick Armey (R-Texas)... Yegor Gaidar: 'The understanding by the elites and society that a real democracy is not an ideological dogma or something imposed by the West, but rather an important precondition for the stable development of the country, will finally give Russia the hope...'"
- The Washington Post Drives Matthew Yglesias into Gibbering Shrillness http://www.bradford-delong.com/2007/06/the_washington_.html: "I like to think that people across America's ideological rainbow can agree that this Dan Balz article is terrible..."
- An Unrealistic, Impractical, Utopian Plan for Dealing with the Health Care Opportunity http://www.bradford-delong.com/2007/06/dealing_with_th.html: "And I am not a real health care economist. I just play one in the weblogosphere..."
- Krishna Guha on the Construction Employment Conundrum http://www.bradford-delong.com/2007/06/krishna_guha_on.html
- Who the "Friends of the People" Are and Why We Fight the Corrupt and Incompetent Establishment Media http://www.bradford-delong.com/2007/06/who_the_friends.html: Paul Krugman "[N]ews organizations should fight the shallowness of the format by providing the facts — not embrace it by reporting on a presidential race as if it were a high-school popularity contest. For if there’s one thing I hope we’ve learned from the calamity of the last six and a half years, it’s that it matters who becomes president..."
- Will Wilkinson: Happiness and the Ideological Mediation of Adaptation http://www.bradford-delong.com/2007/06/will_wilkinson_.html
- Fifteen Links for 2007-06-08 http://www.bradford-delong.com/2007/06/links_for_20070_6.html: "Lachlan and Rupert Murdoch... Axel Leijonhufvud... Brad Setser... Justin Fox... David Corn: "Joe Klein is not only a disgrace to his profession, he may be nuts, too"... Matthew Yglesias: 'New Republic editor in chief Martin Peretz: "Stephen M. Walt, professor at the Kennedy School at Harvard University, had had a lackluster career until he (and John Mearsheimer) happened on the Jews." Lackluster, really?'... Tyler Cowen... Rene Stulz... Paul Collier: 'The Bottom Billion: Why the Poorest Countries are Failing and What Can Be Done About It' Bitch Ph.D.: '[T]hat kind of basic trust that other people are decent human beings is a good thing. If there's anything that needs to be analyzed, condemned, or regretted, it's that there are so many people out there who betray it'... Scott Boston... M.N. Tukhachevsky... Stephen Schwartz... Paul Berman?... Peter Lattman: 'Robert Bork... Slip-and-Fall Lawsuit'... Digby..."