Petra Moser: Further extending long-lived US copyrights will do no good. : No benefits from extensions. And if extensions ever get applied to science, there'd be huge welfare loss, especially for people at less affluent institutions...
Paul Krugman: We've basically crossed the line into treason now -- and a whole party is acquiescing: Benjamin Wittes: "I have a whole lot to say about how the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee and the President of the United States teamed up to out an intelligence source who aided our country in a properly predicated counterintelligence investigation against a hostile foreign power..."
Jen Kirby: Laurel/Yanny: the science behind the audio trick, explained: "It comes down to how our brains pick up on, and interpret, different frequencies..."
Yes, there are first-class New York-style bagels in Greater San Francisco: Bagel Baron: "2701 Eighth St Berkeley, CA 94710..."
Lois McMaster Bujold: The Flowers of Vashnoi goes live
British governance appears at least as bad today as American governance even though they are not helmed by an unstable and corrupt kleptocrat: Simon Wren-Lewis: Delusions of National Power: "Inevitable that the UK would stay in the Customs Union (CU) and the Single Market (SM)...
Claremont Canyon Conservancy: Map/Trails
Eduard Bernstein: (1895): Cromwell and Communism
Thomas Philippon: Finance vs. Wal-Mart: Why are Financial Services so Expensive?
- Sean Illing: Did Trump’s lawyer obstruct justice by floating pardons? 11 experts weigh in. - Vox: "Trump’s lawyer secretly floated pardons for Manafort and Flynn. He might have crossed a line..."
- Gerard Roland: THE CONTRIBUTIONS OF YINGYI QIAN AND CHENGGANG XU TO ECONOMIC SCIENCE
- Yingyi Qian
- Ariel Kalil: Child development and parental engagement in rich and poor households
- Paul Krugman: Putting the Ex-Con in Conservatism: "Massey Energy... Don Blankenship... sent to prison for conspiring to violate mine safety standards... appears to have a real chance at becoming the Republican candidate for senator from West Virginia.... G.O.P. politicians tend disproportionately to be con men (and in some cases, con women).... And the party’s base consists disproportionately of the easily conned..."
- Ben A. Barres: Does gender matter?: "The suggestion that women are not advancing in science because of innate inability is being taken seriously by some high-profile academics. Ben A. Barres explains what is wrong with the hypothesis..."
- Information Is Beautiful: Rhetological Fallacies–A list of Logical Fallacies & Rhetorical Devices with examples
- Val Dusek: SOCIOBIOLOGY SANITIZED: THE EVOLUTIONARY PSYCHOLOGY AND GENIC SELECTIONISM DEBATES: "Hereditarians suffered the embarrassment of the exposure of the later twin studies of Sir Cyril Burt as likely frauds.... Thomas Bouchard and colleagues... accounts of his research in all major news magazines and papers in the US... introduced a segment on telepathy among twins for the TV show Unsolved Mysteries.... Evolutionary psychologists such as Pinker (who contrast themselves with humanists by touting their own devotion to lawful
- Wikipedia: Zhao Ziyang
- Library Guides at UC Berkeley:
- Jim Church: Introduction - GPP 115: Global Poverty: "Challenges and Hopes in the New Millennium: Introduction..."
- Jim Church: Philanthrocapitalism - GPP 115: Global Poverty - Challenges and Hopes in the New Millennium - Library Guides at UC Berkeley: "Challenges and Hopes in the New Millennium: Philanthrocapitalism..."
- Wall Street Journal Editorial Board: Punishing America First: "Trump to Iowa: You’ll have to suffer while I force Xi Jinping to give in: Donald Trump and his advisers spent much of Friday telling everyone that the U.S. is not in a trade war with China, but investors weren’t buying it..."
- Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta: Interest Rate Rule Utility
- Wikipedia: Taylor rule
- Jared Bernstein (2016): Important new findings on inflation and unemployment from the new ERP
- John Williams: Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco | Three Questions on R-star: "Low r-star is a global phenomenon, is likely to be very persistent, and is not confined only to safe assets..."
- Ken White: The Search of Trump Lawyer Michael Cohen's Office: What We Can Infer Immediately
- Becoming Human: Artificial Intelligence Magazine
- Rowan Langford: Stats Models vs SKLearn for Linear Regression
- Statsmodels Examples
- Allen Downey: Probably Overthinking It
- Manton Reece: Micro.blog
- Gravatar: Globally Recognized Avatars
- Jo Marie Scaglia: Caffetteria
- raindrop drop top
- Martha Stewart: Peel-and-Eat Shrimp
- Augie's Montreal Deli: "Served on Metropolis Bakery Deli Rye Bread, with Uncle’s Famous Pickles, and choice of yellow or spicy brown mustard..."
- Katie McDonough: Jezebel Regrets Its Decision to Hire Cannibal Witch as Writer-at-Large: "..."
- Steve M.: THERE'S NO REASON TO LISTEN TO CONSERVATIVE THINKERS, BUT EDITORS WANT THEM MORE THAN EVER: "The mainstream media has spent so many years insisting that... the extremism of talk radio and Fox, Gingrichian bomb-throwing, the Bush push for the Iraq War, torture, disastrously hands-off financial regulation, and disenfranchisement of non-whites, and then Sarah Palin, the Tea Party, and the norm-shattering GOP Congress of the Obama years... was fine. Surely it'll be fine again..."
- TidBITS: Everything You Need to Know about the TidBITS 2018 Infrastructure
- Marion Laboure et al.: The Rise of Silicon China: "Key features of Chinese history and culture have put it in a position to become the global leader in artificial-intelligence technologies, surpassing even the tech giants of Silicon Valley..."
- Sara Benincasa: Better Headlines For A WaPo WASP
- A Waspy Chick: How Come Jewish Men Keep Breaking Up With Me?
- Emma Adler: The Man Without a Brain
- Michael Wolff: Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House: "Brilliantly reported and astoundingly fresh, Fire and Fury shows us how and why Donald Trump has become the king of discord and disunion..."
- Ian Millhiser: The Supreme Court was itching to strike down a partisan gerrymander today, but has no idea how: "There are almost certainly five votes to strike down Maryland's gerrymander, but there's no clarity about how the Court will do it..."
- Orsetta Causa and Mikkel Hermansen: Income redistribution through taxes and transfers: "Taxes and transfers are less effective at reducing inequality today than they were in the mid-1990s. This drop in effectiveness has largely been driven by declining cash transfers, with a smaller, more heterogeneous role for personal income taxes..."
- Joseph MacKay and Christopher David LaRoche: Why Is There No Reactionary International Theory?: "A field that ignores reaction as such may be blind to reactionary political practice. This blindness in turn weakens the responses scholars can offer..."
- Sushi Japanese Restaurant Kui Shin Bo
- J. Kenji Lopez-Alt: Okonomiyaki (Japanese Cabbage Pancake) Recipe: "The shredded or chopped cabbage in the base is a given, but beyond that, you can add whatever you'd like to the batter. Once you've got a few Japanese staples in your pantry (all of which have a shelf life of forever), making it at home is cheap, quick, easy, and filling..."
- Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin and the Lure of the Strongman :
- Robert Shiller (2017): Narrative Economics: "The human brain has always been highly tuned towards narratives, whether factual or not, to justify ongoing actions...